Narcolepsy Network offers financial aid, also known as scholarships, to NN members who, due to financial restrictions, are unable to attend our annual conference. Scholarship awards are made possible by corporate grants and donations from individuals. Narcolepsy Network thanks all supporters for their donations.
Applications are now being accepted for a limited number of conference scholarships. The deadline to apply is August 5, 2016 at midnight Eastern time.
Awards will be determined based on financial need, proximity to the conference location, and frequency of previous scholarship awards. Other considerations may include the applicant’s willingness to contribute in non-financial ways during the conference. All scholarship recipients will be asked to help at the conference in some way. For example, you might be asked to assist with distribution of materials or count attendees in sessions. You will not be asked to do anything that will take you away from the conference presentations.
Applications are available online and must be submitted by August 5, 2016.
If you need to contact us ONLY do so via this email: [email protected]
Three types of scholarships are available:
- Registration Scholarship covers the cost of conference registration. Registration includes all conference sessions as well as breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday.
- Hotel Scholarship provides the recipient with a room, shared with a roommate, at the conference hotel on Friday and Saturday nights of the conference weekend. Narcolepsy Network will match all hotel scholarship recipients with a roommate. If you have a roommate, then Narcolepsy Network will apply a credit of one hotel night plus tax to your room sometime during the conference. You and/or your roommate will then be responsible for the rest of the hotel bill.
- Travel Scholarship provides a maximum of $400 for car, bus, train, or airline travel to and from the conference. Travel scholarship recipients are reimbursed for travel costs, up to the awarded amount, following the conference.
Scholarships are only available to people who actively participate in conference sessions. Narcolepsy Network does not provide financial assistance to supporters who do not attend the conference. If you receive a scholarship, you are required to attend both days of conference sessions.
You may apply for one or all scholarships. Only one scholarship in each category will be awarded per household.
- Applicant must be a current member of Narcolepsy Network.
- Maximum gross income per individual household is $26,500.
- Maximum gross income per 2-person household is $35,000.
- Maximum gross income per 3-or-more person household is $42,000.
We realize that everyone’s financial situation is different, so the scholarship committee will consider other factors when evaluating applications. For example, if your income exceeds the limits shown above, but your medical expenses severely reduce your monthly income, tell us about it in the additional comments section of the application form.
Out of respect for personal privacy, we do not ask you to provide your tax forms, Social Security, or bank statements, or other financial documents. However, Narcolepsy Network expects that all applicants be completely honest when estimating income and assets.
Narcolepsy Network reserves the right to reduce scholarship awards if we have reason to believe recipients could have paid some or all of the costs of attending the conference.
We will begin notifying scholarship recipients by email starting August 31, 2016. All award recipients must respond to their award notification confirming that they accept the scholarship awards within one week of notification. Any scholarships that are unconfirmed or declined by the initial recipient will be awarded to another eligible applicant. All applicants will be notified of their scholarship status by September 7, 2016.